Thursday, July 7, 2011

Not Like Me

As I sit and read some other people's stories, it got me to thinking about a few years that have passed us by.  My son loves attention for the most part.  He wants you to talk and listen to him more than he wants to play.   He wants others to do chores so he can join in.  I have noticed though that when he plays with some children, he behaves differently then when he plays with others.  Now, I know all kids are like that, they play with some children but not others well however in Nathans case I think it is slightly different.  He gets annoyed easily at times and doesn't want to share or play with another child (certain children more so then others).  Naturally kids that are not like him, he tends to spend less time before fighting starts.  In school or around classmates at a picnic he tends to have fun, run around and switch from them to his own thing with ease.  He loves having a great time and I haven't seen him become stingy or argue with them either.  However, children without any disability tend to not go over as well.  They aren't like him, not sure if he realizes why but I think he feels it.  They are his age at times, but don't want to do the same types of things he does.  He is into different shows and different toys and not allowed to roam as far as they are.  Disability to not, that last part is a given, my child doesn't need to be two blocks away from my house by a road at eight years old.  He argues when they don't play his way, which is something he rarely does with kids at school.  Eventually because of the arguing and the way the others kids would treat him due to him not being allowed to go everywhere they can, and also because the other kids in my area had a little issue with waiting until nobody was around to tell me kid what he can't do (while whispering).  Some children are sneaky and it is something I would advise parents to watch out for.  It may seem harmless when they are little, however, when it escalates it could turn into something much worse.  Sometimes kids say or do mean things.  Nathan is a few years behind children his own age, but even some of the younger ones he can't connect to.  However sometimes it is easier for him.  I think that every kid has the right to feel ok with friends.  They should be allowed to hang around children that are like them in order to have some place to be themselves and have fun without debating and arguing over what they should or should not do.  I had to tell many times, the two children playing with my son, that what they said was not right and they had to leave if they keep doing it.  My son loves certain things, and for someone else to tell him it isn't right, well ..that is just plain not right.  So i voice my opinion to others so my son doesn't have to feel bad about what he loves to do.  Which include Nick Jr., pink and dolls but not limited to that.  He doesn't like to be told what he is or isn't supposed to like, which i guess is a good thing  He loves building blocks, CARS and anything with wheels as well.
I have to say I think the school experience is great.  He does behave less stressful there and I think it is due to a more structured environment plus more people like himself that helps him feel less stressed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment